Department of Archives & Special Collections
Online Payments  My Library Account
Finding Aids >> MUM00274

Finding-Aid for the Lockwood Collection (MUM00274)

Questions? Contact us!

Descriptive Summary
Lockwood Family
Lockwood Collection.
Inclusive Dates:
Materials in:
Collection contain correspondence, certifications, funeral notices, and miscellaneous material and notes related to the Lockwood family. Items were created 1875-1958.
2 boxes.
Repository :
The University of Mississippi
J.D. Williams Library
Department of Archives and Special Collections
P.O. Box 1848, University, MS 38677-1848, USA
Phone: 662.915.7408
Fax: 662.915.5734
Cite as:
Lockwood Collection (MUM00274). The Department of Archives and Special Collections, J.D. Williams Library, The University of Mississippi.

Scope and Contents Note
Collection contain correspondence, certifications, funeral notices, and miscellaneous material and notes related to the Lockwood family. Items were created 1875-1958.

Access Restrictions
Use Restriction
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a photocopy or other reproduction. One of these specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use", that user may be liable for copyright infringement.

Container List

Box 1

1. ALS April 14, 1915. Crystal Springs, Miss. from J.M. Daupeer to W.B. Lockwood.

2. ALS May 6, 1915. Carrolton, Ill. from Arthur Secor to "Dear Cousin" [Mrs. O.E. Lockwood].

3. ALS May 19, 1917. Birmingham, Ala. from H.L. Norton.

4. TLS December 24, 1919. Crystal Springs, Miss. from Bud [W.B. Lockwood] to Mama [Mrs. O.E. Lockwood].

5. TL May 28, 1922. Crystal Springs, Miss. from Bud [W.B. Lockwood] to Mama [Mrs. O.E. Lockwood].

6. TLS December 13, 1923. Birmingham, Ala. from Clark Williams to W.B. Lockwood.

7. ALS July 17, 1927. Crystal Springs, Miss. from Jeffrie R. Lockwood to Mrs. O.E. Lockwood and Mr. & Mrs. David H. Dent.

8. TLS July 21, 1927. Birmingham, Ala. from Clark Williams to Mrs. O.E. Lockwood.

9. TL July 22, 1927. Crystal Springs, Miss. from Peachie to Mrs. O.E. Lockwood.

10. ALS August 12, 1927. Dallas, Texas. from Clara Emily Martinez to Mrs. Emma O. Lockwood.

11. ALS May 24, 1929. Crystal Springs, Miss. from Tyna Clement Todd to Mrs. O.E. Lockwood.

12. ALS June 21, 1945. Denver, Colorado. from Capt. William B. Lockwood to Mrs. Genevieve Dent.

13. TL August 23, 1945. Knoxville, Tennessee. from Estelle to Aunt Genevieve [Mrs. L.H. Dent].

14. TL December 5, 1945. Knoxville, Tennessee. from Estelle to Aunt Genevieve [Mrs. L.H. Dent].

15. TLS December 19, 1945. Knoxville, Tennessee. from William B. Lockwood to "Bee-Bee" [Mrs. Louis H. Dent].

16. TL January 7, 1946. Knoxville, Tennessee. from Estelle to Aunt Genevieve [Mrs. L.H. Dent].

17. ALS July 26, 1946. Knoxville, Tennessee. from W.B. Lockwood to "Bee-Bee".

18. TL October 24, 1946. Knoxville, Tennessee. from Estelle to Aunt Genevieve [Mrs. L.H. Dent].

19. undated. telegram from William in Knoxville, Tenn. to Mrs. Louis H. Dent.

20. two printed thank you notes from W.B. Lockwoods.

21. two empty envelopes (1934, 1945).

22. September 25, 1908 deed to cemetary lot at the Crystal Springs Cemetery for T.P. Lockwood.

23. April 20, 1891 Mississippi license to practise medicine for Benson Mott Lockwood.

24. Funeral Notices:
F.L. Ray -- April 16, 1875
R.A. Harrison -- June 29, 1885
Dr. E.T. Lockwood -- September 7, 1886
Dr. B.M. Lockwood -- September 20, 1896
Benson Miller Lockwood -- December 14, 1907 [handwritten]
Mrs. M.C. Sturgis -- November 24, 1909 [also Memorial Record]
Mrs. Elizabeth Ann Secor -- April 1, 1910
George A. Sturgis -- January 6, 1913
Dr. T.P. Lockwood -- April 13, 1915
W.B. Lockwood -- July 13, 1927

25. Locks of hair in evelopes

26. Miscellaneous material and notes -- including family tree and history.

27. The Meteor (September 11, 1958). Crystal Springs Centennial Celebration 1858-1958. Centennial Edition.

28. Newspaper clippings

29. Newspaper clippings

30. Reminiscence of Old Crystal Springs by Dr. Theodore P. Lockwood. 12 pages with stapled cover.

31. Handwritten reminiscence of Dr. T.P. Lockwood's civil war experiences (1909). typescript included.

Box 2 contains the Lockwood family Bible and the Daughters of Confederacy Cross of Honor awarded to Dr. T.P. Lockwood.

***19 photographs were removed to Location J (Collection Photographs -- Lockwood Collection).

"My War Record"

Forty-four years after the close of the War
Between the States I undertake to write this
record. Writing in a day so far removed from
the facts, occurances, and scenes of that finest
war of modern times I may, nessessarily, make
mistakes and overlook many facts. In 1861
when Mississippi seceded from the Union,
I was in New Orleans attending my first course
of medical lectures. It was about the middle
of March when I came home and found the
war spirit at red heat. One company had al-
ready been organized in Crystal Springs,
called "Crystal Springs Southern Rights" and
had elected Captain Davis of Utica, an old
vetaran of the Mexican war I think, as its
captain. I do not remember the other officers, my
brother Johnathan Thomas Lockwood joined
this company and went with it to Virginia
when it was assigned to the 16th Mississippi

Regiment. This Regiment formed a part of
the immortal "Stonewall" Jackson Brigade,
and was engaged in the second battle of
Manassas where my brother was killed. He is
buried in the grave-yard at Warrenton, Va.
The next Company organized in Crystal
Springs was named "The Crystal Springs
Guards." A.B. Lowe was elected Captain,
"Tal" Lindsay 1st Lieutenant, T.P. Lockwood
2nd Lieutenant, and Thomas U. Willis
3rd Lieutenant. We were mustered in the
service by Maj. McCardle of Vicksburg,
drawn up in line on east Rail Road
avenue, north of Georgetown street in the
street along side of where the present brick
store is, now occupied by City Drug Com-
pany. In a few days the mothers and
fathers, brothers and sisters, friends neigh-
bors and sweet hearts gathered at the
Depot to see the noble young soldier boys
of the gallant company "off to the war."

This Company was made up from the pick
and flower of the community, the largest per
cent being boys under twenty. I was just
past my twentieth year. Ah! that was
a sorrowful day when these precious, splendid
boys shook hands with weeping loved ones,
turned thier backs upon home, and faced
an uncertain future and an unknown fate.
And there were weeping and lamentation, many
a prayer was said; many a fond farewill; many
a fond, lingering last embrace; and many a
noble God speed! and hearty wish for a safe
and speedy return swayed, and thrilled, and
swelled the hearts and bosoms of those we left
behind. And well they might -- for two-thirds
of that gallant, heroic, little Company
never returned again for they "were number-
ed with the slain."
"Ah! Few shall part where many meet.
The snow shall be their winding sheet,
And every turf beneath their feet,
Shall be a soldiers sepulchre!"

On July the 31st 1861 our Company left Crystal
Springs for the Camp and drill grounds at
Grenada, Miss. and arrived there on the morn-
ing of August the 1st. Staying here awhile
we were sent to Union City Tennessee, our Com-
pany numbering about one hundred men.
With the "Rankin Grays" from Brandon. Captain
Shelby (who afterwards bacame Colonel of another
regiment) "The Steel Blades" from Georgetown
Copiah County. Captain Archie Steele, a com-
pany from Newton County, Captain Hall,
and "The Crystal Springs Guards" Captain
A.B. Lowe, and several other Companies I
do not now remember their names or officers
formed the 6th Miss. Regiment commanded
by Colonel J.J. Thornton, Leutenant Colonel
Enoch R. Bennett, Major Robert Lowery.
and Adjutant A.B. Willis. In the elec-
tion of officers of the regiment Robert Low
ry of the "Rankin Grays", A.B. Willis and
T.P. Lockwood of "the Crystal Springs

Guards" were put in nomination for
major. My friends in the Regiment were
very sanguine of my election but owing to the
fact that Robert Lowry and A.B. Willis
were much older men than I.(for I was a
mere boy) I decided, with the persuasion
of Willis' friends and the consent of my
friends to withdraw from the contest.
Lowry, however, was elected major and
A.B. Willis made Adjutant of the
Regiment. While at Union City the measles
struck the Camp and numbers of the soldiers
were smitten and sent to the hospitals where
they died like sheep. After staying here a-
while an drill our Regiment was ordered
to Bowling Green Kentucky. where we
went into winter quarters. It was an ex-
ceedingly cold winter the snow lying
on the ground, principly, all winter from
a half foot to a foot and a half deep. We
built our quarters by cutting down

poles and building pens six feet high
about, covered these pens with our tents,
chincked the cracks with mud daub and
thatch, and in one end made a door
just large enough for a man to crawl
through, at the other end a chimny was made
of mud. In these quarters we were pretty snug
and comfortable. Being in the heart of a beau
tiful and rich country we were supplied with
provisions and rough clothing. while our frie-
nds at home sent us additional clothes
and well packed boxes, so we faired sump-
tiously every day. Our occupation was to drill
and manoeuver in the field morning and eve-
ning, and to dig trenches, throw up breastworks
and fortifications. General Pat Cleburn
that splendid drill master, disciplinarian,
and great soldier drillied our Regiment
in person, daily in sword and bayonet ex-
ersises so we became dexterous in the use
of arms, bayonet parry and charge, and fencing

with the sword. When our company left home
for the front it was armed with old flint and
steel muskets, flint and steel single barreled shot
guns and a few flint and steel rifles. Each
man was provided with a long dirk, ham-
mered out by our blacksmiths from steel files
and old pieces of steel and brought to a very
keen edge, with woden handles, which he
wore in his leather belt, a very formidable weap
on in a hand to hand encounter and every
man expected to use them in battle.
Our Company was put in the 6th Miss.
Regiment Company F. General Pat Cleburn's
Brigade, Gen'l Breckenridge's Division, army
of Tennessee commanded by General Albert
Sidny Johnston. "General Albert Sidney John-
ston established east of the Mississippi a line
of defense whose principal points were Colum-
bus, Ky., Forts Henry and Donelson upon the
Tennessee and Cumberland rivers, Bowling
Green and Cumberland Gap, Ky.," Our Com-

mand remained at Bowling Green Ky.,
until "the disasters of Fort Donelson and
Mill Springs compelled Johnston to fall back
from Bowling Green and establish a new
line of defense, which extended from New
Madrid, Mo., through Jackson, Tenn., to
Murfreesborro." In our retreat from Bowling
Green the main army marched through the
country and all the sick and disabled were
sent around by the cars. I had a very bad
case of Jaundice and suffered a good deal.
All the Regiment was ordered to report to
regimental medical headquarters to be examined to
see who were able to march and who were
sick. I presented myself dead sure of getting
a certificate to go on the cars. but Dr. Wm
Aills, who was Surgeon of the Regiment, re-
fused the certificate and forced me to
march through with the command, telling
me it would be good for my complaint.
So we fell back from Bowling Green Ky.,

to Nashville, Tenn., through the country,
in the winter when the march for most of
the way was through snow over shoe mouth
deep. I kept with my Command all the way
from Bowling Green to Nashville, marching in
the snow, sleeping in the snow when to my
surprise my jaundice was gone and I was well.
The day before we reached Nashville we marched
at double-quick almost, thirty miles to reach
Nashville for fear of being cut off by the fall
of Fort Donalson. Our Command was quartered
on the Capital grounds which we reached a short
time after night-fall weary, cold, and hungry.
My Company, with others, laid down on the
cold, hard, granite floor of the portico and steps
of the Capital and fell to sleep with nothing to
cover us but our single blanket, and I never had
a sweeter night's sleep in all my life. From
Nashville we went to Corinth, Miss, where
we went into Camps and remained until
everything was about ready for the desperate

battle of Shiloh. While encamped at Corinth
the soldiers suffered for water, there was no water
to be had except from a few mud holes in a
dried up creek, in which was lying the carcases
of two cows and a horse or so from these pools
of filthy water we got our drinking water, our
water to cook with and wash our clothes.
Imagine the situation there and compare it
with these times of electric lights and water-
works. After the capture of Fort Donelson the
Federal army was carried in steamboats up the
Tennessee River to Pittsburg Landing, near the
State line of Mississippi. Here Burell had been
ordered to reinforce Gen'l Grant. Gen'l John-
ston by skillful generalship had concentrated
his widely scattered command and organized
them into three corps under Generals Bragg, Polk,
and Hardee at Corinth, Miss. Johnston de-
termined to attack Grant before the two armies
could unite. Advancing quietly, he attacked
the the Federal camps near Shiloh Church,

about two miles from the Tennessee River
April the 6th, 1862. and although greatly out-
numbered, he forced the Federals back to the
river, capturing many prisoners and stores. After
Standing all night in line of battle, by
daylight on Sunday morning, (April 6) the
firing began on our left and came rapidly
down the line. The battle had begun and
we rushed into the melee amidst the
rattle of musketry. the deafening roar of cannon,
and the hiss of shrieking shells. Gradually
but stubbornly the enemy went back before
the fury of our assault over fences and
fields and hills and woods. In front of our
regiment, (the 6th Miss.) the enemy had dug
their trenches and thrown up breastworks, in
rear of which was their Camps and a
battery of six guns, which poured a deadly
fire upon our advancing columns. Between
our line and the enemies' breast works there
ran a little creek or ravine in the skirt of

the intervening woods close under the
breastworks. The enemy's fire was so galling
and was mowing down our advancing
column so dreadfully that we were ordered
to lie down, but the enemy behind the trenches
had our range so completely, that our officers
soon found that there were more men killed
lying down than while advancing. While lying
there, Leutenant Harris of the Steel Blades
in our regiment, and I, were lying close to-
gether, our shoulders touching, talking about
how thick the bullets were coming, and
watching our men before us as they were being
shot. Lt Harris playfully remarked, "I wish
we could get right-down in the earth" then
I noticed that he quit talking and I look-
ed around to see what was the matter
and Lt Harris lay stretched out, flat of his
back, with a minnie ball in the ______ of
his head -- he was dead. At this juncture
we were ordered to charge the breast works.

We arose and with the historic Rebel Yell
made a furious dash across the little creek
and stormed the breastworks, killed and
captured the soldiers in their trenches, silenc
ed the battery of six cannons which had
played such havoc in our ranks, captured
the battery and the enemy camps and
provisions, and sent the ruling foe flying
before us. This was the gallant charge of
the bloody 6th Miss. Regiment at Shiloh.
But it cost us dearly. Every field officer of
the regiment was shot down and many a
noble, splendid boy of this community met
a hero's death on this fearful, bloody field.
Just before we reached the little creek in
the woods, in that gallant charge, I was
shot down with a fearful wound in my leg
and foot, just as the charging regiment
reached the little creek, the brave and
gallant Lt Thomas H. Willis fell mortally
wounded. Here I leave the hard fought

battle of Shiloh which history claims as
one of the bloodiest battles of the war. I
lay on the battle field where I fell, in a thick
et of bushes and tall trees, waiting for the am
bulance corps to pick me up until the canon
balls and minnie ball came so thick and
furious. Cutting down small bushes all around
me and large limbs from the large trees
falling all about me, that I was sure I would
be killed if I stayed there. Looking around
I discovered a large old pine tree that had
blown down and left a tall stump. I said
to my self I will be killed if I stay here and
die out here in the woods. So I said I will
try to reach that old tree which was
about 20 yards in the rear of me. I may
be killed by the flying bullets coming like
hail all around me, but if I can reach
that old tree it will be a haven of se-
curity. I can but die, so I will try. Weak and
exhausted from my terrible wounds and

loss of blood I began the long and weary
journey towards that old pine tree that had
fallen in the woods. Mayhaps I shall never
reach that coveted goal. through all this
hail storm of flying, deadly, musketry, shrieck
ing shells, and terrific, crashing canonballs.
The destination of my journey to escape almost
certain death seemed a hundred miles away. The
situation was desperate in the extreme but a
soldier knows nothing but duty, and the
encounter of a thousand difficult an danger-
ous situations. Thus lying flat of my
back, with my arm and elbows I drug my-
self along. Often resting, then summoning
up courage I drug my self along. At last I got
to the old fallen tree in safety. I felt like
I had escaped the very jaws of Hades and
had reached Paradise. I thanked God. Providence
had saved me for some purpose I knew not
what. Snugly escoused behind my breastword.
I lay there for a long time listening at the

bullets hitting the old stump and tree by
the thousands. Finally they became less and less
thick until they gradually stopped. The
roar of battle and the sound of the contend
strife grew fainter, and fainter and farther
and farther away. I knew then that our
arms were victorious and we were pushing
the enemy back, back, back. I lay there
by my "friend in need," the old pine tree
that fell in the thicket, a long time
waiting and hoping for the ambulance
Corps to come along and pick me up.
Finally two wounded soldiers coming
back from the front found me and as
they were not wounded so bad but that
they could walk, took me and putting
my arms around their necks bore me
back a quarter of a mile to the rear to the
Field Hospital. It was about 4 o-clock in
the evening and raining to beat the band.
The field hospital was to crowded with

the desperately wounded that it would not
receive any more and they laid hundreds
about on the ground outside, so I was
laid by another old fallen tree. My clothes
were drenched with rain and my blanket,
only one, was spread an ringing wet, on the
wet ground and I was layed on it, with
no covering or protection and the rain
pattering down on my face and body, there
I lay all night until 4 o-clock next eve-
ning in a drenching rain. It was an aw-
ful sight to see the stack of legs and arms
and other parts of the human body that was
piled up out side of the field hospital al-
most as high and thick as an ordinary hay-
stack. I was never reached for attention un-
til 4 o'clock on the evening of the 7th where
all the wounded that were able to travel
at all were put in two mule wagons and
sent back to Corinth, Miss. After travelling
all night in drenching rain, over desper-

ate roads, amid the cries and groans of the
wounded soldiers, we reached Corinth early
next morning where tents were provided
for us. My wet blanket was layed down
on the ground in one of those tents and I
was layed down on it. My comrade and
member of my company Lt. Thomas H.
Willis was layed by my side in the same
tent mortally wounded where in a few
hours he died, while I raised up on my
elbow with my hand on his dying breast,
and gazing intently on his pale, waning
face until his heroic spirit left forever
the lionhearted soldier boy, and he lay
still, calm, and serene in a solder's death.
I crossed his arms on his breast as best
I could, and covered his rigged, pale face
with his old wet blanket as best I could.
and was left alone in the tent with my
dead comrade. Then I wept bitter tears
over my gallant friend, thought of the

beautiful wife and three lovely children
he left behind and sighed a long farewell
to my life long friend Tom Willis. -- I pause
to pay this tribute to my gallant comerade
and noble friend. As a member of the officer
mess and in camp he was genial and jolly;
as an officer he was kind to his men, and
considerate of their welfare; in fact he was
a typical Southern Soldier and Gentleman.
Obedient always to command He never shirked
a duty nor shunned a danger.
As a soldier he was honorable, true, and
polished as Lee; brave as Julius Ceasar;
alert and intrepid as Hannibal crossing
the Alps; fearless as a "Thracian Soldier"
and staunch and stern as a Spartan and Trojan.
Lt. Willis fell under the eye of his
immortal chieftan, Albert Sidney Johnston,
as he himself fell in the flush of victory
on the bloody plains of historic Shiloh.
Such soldier as Lt. Tom Willis made

the rank and file of the Southern Soldier,
and gave to the world and immortality
such deathless characters as Lee and
Jackson and the two Johnsons.
After the battle of Shiloh my father, Dr.
E.T. Lockwood and Dr. Brown came
up to Corinth to aid the wounded, and
they dressed my wounds and attended to
me in the tent, for the first time in
two days and nights. My father brought
me home, with the other wounded, who were
able to be moved home. For many long,
tedious, weary months I lay,
suspended by a hair, betwixt life and
death. Frequently my wounds would break
out with severe hemmorhages, and almost
bleed me to death, but the time was not
yet. Other sore and trying experiences a-
waited me in the battle of life. After
about two years, I got partially able
to rejoin my command at the battle

of Kennesaw Mountain, still walking
on my crutches. At the retreat of the
Mountain battle, my General, Robert Lowery,
seeing my condition, detailed me to take
a train of wounded soldiers to the hos
pitals at Atlanta, Ga., On arriving at
Atlanta with my train load of wounded
soldiers, I found Atlanta over flowing with
the wounded every place that could be made
a hospital crowded, even the ample rail
road shed was literally covered with wound
ed men, so that one could scarcely step
without treading on a soldier. I dropped
with my train of wounded soldiers, to
Griffin, Ga. where ample hospital facil-
ities were provided for my charge. Here
we stayed for some time, and I act-
ed as druggist for the hospital. I was
transferred to Thomaston, Ga. which
was a Hospital Post with two large
hospitals, one of the hospitals was in

charge of a Surgeon from Florida. I
have forgotten his name and the name
of the hospital. He was a fine surgeon
and an elegant gentleman. The other
was a very large hospital called
Lumpkin Hospital in charge of
Dr. Alexander Hunter who also, was
the Surgeon-in-chief of the entire Post.
and Commander of all the soldiers
about 5000, for there were a great many
at the Post. I remained Chief Druggist
and manager of all medical supplies
for the Post. Dr. Hunter was from
Crystal Springs, Miss. He was my
splendid and intimate friend, and
a fine old gentleman. Lumpkin
Hospital was ordered from Thomas-
ton to Columbus, Miss. Here we stayed
for quite awhile. I was here appointed
Assistant Surgeon and put in charge
of a ward in the hospital getting

ready for the expected battle of Franklin
Tenn. After the battle the wounded
began to pour into Columbus to the hos-
pital. Wounded Confederates, wounded
Yankees, wounded Negroes, and wounded
foreigners from the slums and scums of Europe
stalwart men -- and a motley crew. Many
of them sick with pneumonia. The first
night my ward alone, was crowded with
160 of these wounded.
It was long after midnight before I got
my ward settled down. Next morning
when I went to the ward there were 80 of
the wounded and sick dead in the ward,
and the remainder in a critical and
pitiful case! Our hospital -- the Lumpkin --
was ordered back to Forsythe, Ga in wake
of Sherman's incindiary but famous
"March to the Sea." Here, not long, the
news reached us that Lee had surrendered
to Grant at Appomattox. One of the grand

scenes ever enacted on the stage of warfare.
Lee, surrounded by his dedicated ranks,
of soldiery, footsore and weary; ragged;
and hungry; vanquished; but not con-
quered stood like a Roman Soldier, proud,
Erect, and undaunted, or like some
ancient ruin towering amongst us,
grand, noble, and magnificent. With serene
and matchless dignity delivering his
trusty sword to the victor, -- General
Grant -- a soldier worthy of his steel -- and
a brave, generous, and magnanimous foe,
with a million of brave soldiers about him.
A few days after the news of Lee's sur
render at Appomattox, where the brilliant
star of the Southern Confederacy set to
rise no more, the Surgeon in Chief of
our hospital asked me if I would
like to go home? I said, Yes, Doctor, most
assuredly. He said, "It is a longs ways from
here to our home, It will probably be

six months before we can get there
by rail road. the country is so torn up and
devastated. I shall have to stay here at least
that long. I have a two mule wagon and
some relics I should like to send home.
I will rig up the team and valuables,
detail two men to go with you, if you are
willing to undertake the trip across the country.
It is a difficult and dangerous journey."
"I said good enough; I am willing to brave
any danger, or privation to get home now."
Next morning we turned our mules' heads
toward Crystal Springs, Miss. Our route lay
along the mountainous portion of North
Alabama, we passed through this country
about where Birmingham now is. There
was not a town or sign of civilization where
the City of Birmingham now blooms out in
all its magic beauty. We heard daily
many scarry reports of thievs, robbers, scouts,

mauraders, jayhawkers, Federal cavalry,
and the like all along our way, but
we never encountered any trouble.
Soon after we crossed the Alabama
line, one of my detailed men left me
and went to his home near by, just be-
fore we got to the Mississippi Line
my other detail skipped me and went
to his home. This left me alone the bal-
ance of my jouney home. I got to Gaines-
ville Alabama, got my Parole from
Gen'l Danby, and continued my way
homeward. No incident, or happening
molested me the end of my long trip.
When I got home I was appalled at
the ruin that greeted me. The old
house where I was born, and lived, and
left for the war was desolate. No one there
but my Father and Mother ekeing out
a scant existance. The old farm de-
serted; houses dilapidated; fences all

distroyed and gone; Horses and mules
all taken away by raiding Federal
cavalry, a scene of rapine and dis-
traction. The Federal marauders stripped
my Father's house of everything; went to
every room hunting money, valuables, and
spoils. On one of these raids, they camped
1500 or 2000 strong in the grove in front of
my Father's house, there was no one there but
my mother. They looted the house, pantry,
and corn crib. They went from room to
room, even turning up beds and bed clothes,
in search of booty. The house was full
of federal sodiers. My mother -- all alone,
followed them where ever they went abusing
and bemeaning them. One heartless soldier
turned up her bed, in her presence, to
search it. My mother said to him "You
dirty, cowarly puuppy, are you not
ashamed to desecrate a lady's bed cham-
ber, and ruthlessly handle her bed?

He replied, "All things are fair in war,
madam; "I am told,' he said, you have
a son with money and jewels.' She
says "yes, I have but -- he is where you
cannot get him" "Where is that? he asked
"At the front where the battle is, where
you ought to be, instead of being far
away from the firing-line, pilfering
and searching ladies sleeping apart-
ments like a thief" Brave Southern
woman! Our Southern women were all
heroines! When the war was over, the
Confederate army laid down their
arms under the generous terms of
surrender agreed upon by Lee and
Grant at Appomax. Overwhelmed
by superior numbers, but not con-
quored, the Southern soldiers accepted
the situation in good faith, turned
their faces and bent thier weary steps
toward the beautiful southland

they left four years before, to find their
homes in ashes and their "Sunny South"
in desolation, bankrupcy and ruin;
As a Georgia soldier expressed it to a
Federal soldier, speaking of the surrender
"You'ons did not whip we'ons We'ons just
wore our slves out. a whipping you'ons."
Where the boys came home from the
war they set themselves about,- with a
noble faith, unbending energy, sublime
courage and strong trust in the God
of battles,- to build up the waste places
of the bleeding South. But the scene
changes. Whin we thought the war was
over, and the white wings of peace were
hovering over us, a horrid spectre, blacker
and more fiendish, and dreadful than
the "shock of battle and the clash
of arms" streched itself across the path
of the South's prosperity. And for ten
years more she floundered and

struggled to free herself from the
insults, the crualty, and the graft
and greed of the carpetbaggers and
scallawaggers, who plundered and
sore vexed her under their "black
and tan" rule during the night
mare of Reconstruction.
Here I drop the curtain.

Dedicated to Olivia Emma
Lockwood, my wife, William B.
Lockwood, my son, and Genevieve
Lockwood Dent, my daughter.
Theodore P. Lockwood