First Year Instruction Initiative
As the level of difficulty of research projects increases, so must students’ abilities. The goal of the first year initiative is to have all students master a few basic library competencies to aid them in their first year of college-level research.
Librarians are matched to every section of the participating courses; the librarians will contact the instructor within the first week of the semester.
- DS 095: Developmental Support Lab
- DS 097: Intermediate Reading
- DS 098: Intermediate English
- EDHE 101: Academic Skills for College
- EDHE 105: The First Year Experience
- WRIT 100: Introduction to College Writing
- WRIT 101: First-Year Writing I
- WRIT 102: First-Year Writing II
- SPCH 102: Fundamentals of Public Speaking
- SPCH 105: Business and Professional Speech
- LIBA 102: First Year Seminar
- HON 101: First Year Seminar
- HON 102: First Year Seminar
1. Recognize where to seek library research help online using Ask-A-Librarian;
2. Focus and articulate an information need by identifying keywords, synonyms and related terms for a specific research query;
3. Differentiate between an article and book in citation format;
4. Identify the title of a book, the title of an article and the title of a journal;
5. Evaluate information retrieved to assess for relevance based on a specific topic.